Completed in 1954, Wayne County Hospital opened in January 1955 as a 34 bed, non-profit, community owned, rural hospital serving Wayne County and neighboring communities. Cost for the original project, including the building and equipment, was $450,000 of which $140,000 was available from the Federal Government through the Hill-Burton Act. The County’s share of the project, through taxation, was $200,000, and the balance was obtained by subscriptions through the efforts of a local committee. The county’s population in 1955 was between 9,000-10,000 people.
Designed by the architectural firm of Williamson and Loebsack and Associates of Topeka, Kansas; the original structure was 256 feet long and 60 feet wide. A private room cost $10.50 per day, a semi-private room was $8.50 and the charge was $6.50 per day for children under 7 years old. The new hospital employed a staff of approximately 25 members.
The Iowa Hospital Association’s recognition presentation to Wayne County Hospital.